The spark plug of a car actually draws the power from the car battery, which means you can’t start your car without the car battery. It is the most obvious thing, and if you are a car owner, then you might know about it. The problem of the “car not starting” mostly occurs because of the battery is discharging or dead battery. According to many surveys and studies, 40% of the time, car owners face this problem only because of bad battery conditions. It simply indicates that if you are a car owner, then you have to check your car’s battery condition routinely. There are two ways to get the information about your car’s battery condition; the first is to pay a service center or a mechanic to check the actual problem.
Instead of going with the first method, you can buy a good car battery tester. Basically, a car battery test is a device that can help you to check the actual condition of your car’s battery. But in the market, you will find out that there are many types of testers present in the market, where some show only basic details about the battery. And some advanced types of testers can show you more statistics and data about the car battery. But if you are a person who doesn’t know much about car battery testers, then these varieties can create confusion for you. But you are a reader of this post, that is why this is not going to be a case for you. To resolve all these confusions, we have decided to make a list of the ten best rated car battery testers of the year. Recently, we also covered a list of best car battery charger reviews please check and share your opinions.
Table of Contents
- Best Buy Car Battery Tester Reviews
- 1. CARTMAN 12V Car Battery Tester
- 2. Schumacher BT-100 Battery Tester
- 3. SOLAR BA9 40-1200 CCA Battery Tester
- 4. KONNWEI KW600 Car Battery Load Tester
- 5. OTC 3180 100 Amp Battery Load Tester
- 6. ANCEL BST200 Car Battery Tester
- 7. Bastex BT-100 6V/12 Battery Tester
- 8. Midtronics PBT300 Battery Tester
- 9. SCITOO BT100 Battery Analyzer/Tester
- 10. AUTOOL BT-360 Car Battery Tester
- How to Choose a Perfect Car Battery Tester
- How to Use a Car Battery Load Tester
- Car Battery Tester Frequently Asked Questions
Best Buy Car Battery Tester Reviews
If you are wondering about the best one, make sure to go through this post, and we hope you will find a perfect one according to your needs.
1. CARTMAN 12V Car Battery Tester
Let’s start this post with the most affordable type of car battery tester. CARTMAN’s 12V tester allows you to test all 12V of batteries without any issues. According to many experts and users, this is the most compact and lightweight tester that works great and anyone can carry easily. If you are an average user and you just want to know about the battery condition instead of more data like charge percentage, overall battery life, etc. Then you should give a try to this battery tester instead of the advanced one. It is the main reason why many people prefer and suggest new users buy this type of useful but straightforward car battery tester.
It actually works on the LED indications, which means on the front side, you will find out some LED lights that will show the condition of the battery accordingly. If you focus on the LED lights, you will find out that there are a total of six light indicators present. So, if you have purchased this tester over any other options of this list and you want to conduct the test with the help of this tester. For this, you simply need to connect the red wire clamp with the battery’s positive terminal and the black wired clamp with the negative end or terminal of the car battery.
- You can perform the alternator check with the help of this test as well.
- The price point is very aggressive of this Cartman car battery tester.
- Simple LED indicators are making it very easy to use a battery tester.
- The clamps quality of this tester is not that great.
2. Schumacher BT-100 Battery Tester
Schumacher BT-100 is a very convenient type of tester for 6V and 12V of car batteries. If you are going with this particular tester, you can easily use the most common types of car batteries, which are the 6V and 12V. There are several conditions and situations that you can use this tester for. The Schumacher mentioned that you could use this tester to determine the overall battery condition, a load of battery, and the complete charging system. But remember it is not that simple to use like you just plugged it and started. No, it actually works on the clamps, which means every time when you want to check anything about your car’s battery, then you have to attach the clamps of this tester with the battery.
Talking about the outer body and the design of this tester, then here you are going to get the traditional looking design. According to many users, it looks more like a voltmeter at first glance. The overall body of this tester is build-up with the solid metal material for the next level of durability. On that, the company has provided the enamel finishing or a bit of additional coloring. The best part that other regular users and we liked the most about this tester is its incredible rubber insulation of handle. And because of this insulated handle, you can easily use it without getting hit by electric shock.
- You can test both 6V and 12V of batteries with this particular tester model.
- The highly durable design of this tester is making it a long lifespan of the tester.
- The quality of the clamps of this tester is quite good as compared to others.
- With this tester, you can only get the analog readings.
3. SOLAR BA9 40-1200 CCA Battery Tester
SOLAR’s BA9 model of the tester is a speedy and accurate type of device to test any 12V of the car battery. If you are looking for a very advanced kind of tester over the standard light indicator battery tester, do make sure to try this one. The SOLAR manufacturing company has offered an advanced battery test with all the features that you can expect from any regular battery tester. The best part we liked the most about this tester is that it comes at a quite affordable price point. If you are a complete beginner and haven’t used any tester yet, then it can be difficult for you to understand the readings of this tester.
Considering the testing range, you will be happy to know that this device offers a wide range of testing ability. According to the manufacturers, it can easily show the readings from 40 to 1200 CCA. If you read the specifications of this tester, then you will come to know that you can use it with both charged and discharged batteries. Yes, you got it right, this tester can show you reading of a discharged battery. If the readings are going below the level 12.2V, then it means your car’s battery life is ended or going forward in that way.
- The digital display makes it easy for you to read the exact readings provided by this device.
- The testing range of this device is between 40 to 1200 CCA, which is pretty good for this type of device.
- None so far
4. KONNWEI KW600 Car Battery Load Tester
KONNWEI KW600 is another example of an advanced car battery tester, and if you liked the previous spot of the tester device, then we are sure that you will also like this one. The KW600 model can deliver quick and accurate data or stats about your car’s battery. If you are ready to invest a bit of extra money to buy a useful tester device, then we will firstly recommend this one to you. There are actually too many reasons behind this, but the main reason it is terrific testing ability. You can use it for determining the charging or discharging of the battery, and other than this, you can perform a full charging system check as well.
Now let’s take a look at some other essential features of this KW600 model. So, first of all, this testing device allows you to print the report by connecting it with computers. We are damn sure that no other brands are offering this particular feature in their testers. For printing the report in the hard copy, you can easily transfer the report from the tester to the computer or laptop. The overall design of this tester is very handy and portable; in our opinion, you won’t going to get the issues related to its portability.
- The colored display makes it easier to operate or see the actual report after diagnosing the car battery or the charging system.
- The measuring ability of this tester is between 100 to 2000 CCA.
- It is a multi-purpose use of tester that you can use for motorcycle batteries as well.
- None so far
5. OTC 3180 100 Amp Battery Load Tester
OTC 3180 model of tester device allows you to test the battery or perform the battery checkup in just 10 seconds. It doesn’t matter the car is on or off, you can use this tester in both scenarios. If you are a person who doesn’t want to buy a display-oriented battery load tester, it can be a perfect option. Here, you will get the analog type of indication to indicate your car’s overall battery situation. The size of this OTC 3180 tester is pretty compact, which means it is very easy to carry or handy battery tester.
If you are wondering which type of batteries this tester can work with, then we want to tell you that it can efficiently work with both 6V and 12V batteries. We found this compatibility of this tester, the most amazing thing that you will get here. You can use this tester to check the SOC (State of Charge), and to indicate this; you will get a big size of analog indication mechanism in front of this tester. The clamps of this tester have dedicated insulation to prevent any kind of harm by electric charge. Talking about the outer body parts, then on the outer side of this tester, you will find the shiny finishing of metallic covering. It is the only battery tester that providing a high level of durability at this particular price point.
- You can use it with both 6V and 12V of batteries to perform a quick charge test.
- The build quality is impressive for this car battery tester.
- The size is quite portable as well as it is very easy to use because of analog indication.
- The clamps’ wires are not that long in this particular model of battery tester.
6. ANCEL BST200 Car Battery Tester
ANCEL BST200 is another competitor in this battery tester’s field, but there are many features present in this tester that no other brands are providing. Talking about the ANCEL brand, then the first thing that every user of this brand will tell you is the reliability and long-lasting performance of their products. In our opinion, this is the main reason why ANCEL ma
The thing to remember is that you can only use this tester with the 12V of batteries only. And the best part is the versatility of uses; it means you can use this tester for any automotive 12V of battery. The ANCEL company also claims that this tester can easily show the results just in three seconds after connecting with the battery. There are many testers present in the market, but this one is far too fast than any other tester. Where some testers only allow testing the battery after detaching the battery from the vehicle. Right? Here this is not the case; instead, this one will enable you to check in both “In-Vehicle” or “Out of Vehicle” conditions. You will get the excellent quality of the digital display to show all data or statistics about the system diagnosis report.
- The color contrast of this tester’s display is very impressive, which makes it easy to read the type of tester.
- Its clamps come with the dedicated handles with proper insulation.
- None so far
7. Bastex BT-100 6V/12 Battery Tester
Bastex BT-100 is another analog type of car battery tester, which actually comes at a very aggressive price point. If you love to use the analog battery tester over the digital screen ones, then do make sure to check out this option. On the seventh spot of this list, we have added the Bastex BT-100 6V/12 Battery Tester. The only thing to remember before buying this type of tester is that you can’t perform the full charging system check with the help of any analog battery tester. Instead, if you are buying this tester for the standard battery charging and discharging checkups, then it seems a perfect deal for all users.
Now let’s take a look at what you are getting with this particular option of our list. The first thing that we want to address here is the build quality of this tester. The Bastex manufacturers have offered a superior build quality at this particular price point. The overall body is build-up with the raw metallic material, that is why here you are getting the rough finishing on the top. The checking ability of this tester device starts from the 100 CCA, which is pretty impressive for an analog car battery tester.
- The superior build quality of this tester, making it a very durable and long-lasting performance of the device.
- It is a perfect testing device for ordinary uses like testing discharging or overall states of a 12V car battery.
- The holding handle of this tester doesn’t have any insulation.
8. Midtronics PBT300 Battery Tester
If you are ready to invest a bit of extra money to buy an all-in-one car battery tester, you can try this one. On the eighth spot of this list, we have added the Midtronics PBT300 Battery Tester. We have called this tester as an all-in-one tester device because you can perform all design tasks related to your car’s battery and charging system. Not only this, but it can detect the bad cells as well. For more clarification, we want to tell all the readers that it is a tester for 12V of batteries.
You will be happy to know about the measurement range of this particular device because if offering the 100 to 1400 CCA of measuring ability. Many users who are using this tester on a routine basis, claim that this tester performs the battery checkup within five seconds. In our suggestion, this type of fast data collection or result showing is very important for any car battery tester. The overall design looks very similar to a voltmeter, but it comes with a more advanced feature than a simple voltmeter.
- In the outer body of this battery testing device, the company has offered good quality plastic material for longer durability.
- The wires that you are getting with this tester are pretty long.
- The red-colored digital display is making it easy for you to read the results of battery checkups.
- None so far
9. SCITOO BT100 Battery Analyzer/Tester
We can understand that if some of you don’t want just to invest a higher amount of money to buy a single but premium car battery testing device. So, if you don’t have enough budget to spend on a premium car battery analyzer, then do make sure to check out this option. On the ninth or second last spot of this list, we want to introduce the SCITOO BT100 Battery Analyzer/Tester in front of all the readers of this post. Basically, this battery tester has all the features that you can expect from a premium model of the device.
The first thing that you will be going to notice after holding this tester in hand that it comes with a fairly compact design. However, the weight of this tester is very light, as well as wells that will help you easily hold it in your hands. Discussing the functionality section, then we want to tell you that it works only with 12V car batteries.
- 4 inches of higher color contrast of LCD display will allow you to see the results clearly.
- The clams that you are getting here are very great in terms of quality, plus the wiring is long enough for routine uses.
- None so far
10. AUTOOL BT-360 Car Battery Tester
Finally, we are on the last spot of this battery testing device’s list, and here we have added the AUTOOL BT-360 Car Battery Tester on the last spot of this list. Yeah, we know that it looks like a portable video game console, but believe it or not, it is a fully functional car battery testing device. The best part about this AUTOOL Bt-360 tester is that it comes with a highly portable and comfortable to hold design. The form factor of this tester device is too small, or you can say it is too compact.
This device’s ability to measure starts from 100 CCA, and it goes toward the maximum 2400 CCA. Another great thing about this tester is that you can easily use this device with any automotive 12V battery.
- The display that you are getting here is an LCD backlight display that helps you to see the data even in the night.
- The versatility of uses is another big reason why we have added this one to our list.
- None so far
How to Choose a Perfect Car Battery Tester
If you are still facing so many confusions to choose a perfect tester for your car’s battery, if yes, then congrats you are at the right place. It’s because we are going to discuss this topic deeply, which points you need to focus on before making any buying decision related to car battery tester.
- Different Types
You will come to know about the real confusion when you head over to the market to buy a tester device for your car’s or any other automotive battery. Here we are trying to address the different types of testers in this field. Mainly you will get three different types of testers in the market. The first one is the basic type of testers, the second type is the analog testers, and the third but most premium segment is the advanced features of testers. Yeah, we know that all of these types sound very confusing, especially if you don’t know much about these testers.
Let’s make it simple for each view of this list, so if you just want to check the discharging or charging of an automotive battery, then definitely go with the basic even the analog tester also can be a good option instead. And if you want to conduct tasks like charging system checkup, battery load checkup, or determining the overall battery states. In this case, we want to suggest that you should go with the advanced features of the car battery tester only.
The compatibility section of a battery tester is also very important to look at. It’s because if you just ignore this step and after buying a tester, then it may happen with you that your desired tester does not work correctly with the type of your car’s battery. To prevent this kind of manual issue, we want to suggest that you make sure always consider the compatibility section before going with any tester.
In terms of the compatibility of a tester, you will easily find out that only two types of testers exist in the market. Some testers only work with the 12V of automotive batteries, and some options work with both 6V and 12V automotive batteries. Your buying decision should depend upon the type of battery that your vehicle or car has.
Based on the indication, we can easily differentiate all the testers that present in the market in three sections. If your budget is low and you don’t want to invest in a higher variant, you can use the LED light indicator of testers. In these testers, you will not be going to get any display; instead, here you will get different colors of LED lights.
On the other hand, many basic and all advanced car battery testers come with digital or LCD screens. But here we also have many varieties present. If you are one of the users who have decided to go with advanced battery testers, then always make sure that your desired tester offering a backlight type of display. Also, it is an essential feature that will help you to determine or check your car’s battery in the dark/night.
How to Use a Car Battery Load Tester
It is important to use the car battery load tester correctly to get the correct reading. Below are some of the points to help you in using the car battery load tester.
The first important part about using the car battery load tester is disconnected the car battery. So, you must remove the terminal connections that are connecting the car battery to the car. You can do this step in two minutes, and it will help you ensure that the car is not consuming any current from the battery.
Before you move on to the next step, ensure that the car battery load tester is compatible with the type of battery. This will help you in ensuring that you do not burn the car battery load tester.
You would need to connect the terminals of the car battery load tester to the car battery. It is very simple, and most of the car battery load tester has clamp-type connectors. Connect the red to the red terminal of the battery and the black clamp to the black terminal. Once you have connected, give it a few seconds for the reading to stabilize. Some of the car battery load tester would need you to select the right options to get the results, and it should be an easy task.
There are different types of car battery load tester, and it varies with the type of indication they give. We have classified a little more about them in the below points.
- LED indicator – This type of car battery load tester has led indicators that will tell you about the battery status. This will tell you the battery’s charge level, and it will tell you the health status of the battery as well. This car battery load tester is easy to read, and it offers a straightforward solution.
- Analogue Indicators – These are in the form of a meter, and they would have a needle that moves as you connect the battery. The needle would indicate the position of the battery health. These car battery load tester is highly accurate, and they are a good tool.
- Digital Indicators – The new generation car battery load tester is like digital multi-meters. Most of these car battery load tester is very advanced, and they are also easy to read. Some of them can read the status of the discharged battery as well, so you would save yourself from the pain of charging the battery before being able to test it. Some of these modern versions also offer the ability to connect to a printer to print the test report.
Car Battery Tester Frequently Asked Questions
- Are car battery testers accurate?
In the beginning, they used to be less accurate, but with technology advanced so much today, the level of accuracy is comparatively high. However, the level of accuracy depends on the brand and the model of the testing device. In general, the accuracy would be maximum close to the exact reading.
- What does a car battery tester do?
Car battery testers are of different types, some of them designed to measure volts and some designed to measure amperes. However, most commonly, car battery tester uses battery load testing to determine if the battery is viable or not. It is done by measuring the amperes produced by a battery.
- How many volts does a battery drop while engine ignition?
Most of the cars that run on a 12V battery when the ignition is switched on, the battery drop reading that you obtain would be around 10 volts. For some old cars, the reading could drop as low as 9 volts.
- If my battery is healthy, what should be the reading of my fully charged battery?
As far as we know, if a battery is healthy and brand new then, the reading would be close to 12.9 volts. On the other hand, if the battery is old, then the reading could be around 11.5 to 12.4 volts.
- How long will it take to fully charge a 12-volt battery?
For a healthy battery, the maximum time required to charge a new battery would be around 10 to 15-hours. But if the battery is not new and somewhat worn out, then it would take around 15 to 24-hours.
- Is there a specific model car battery tester for each type of battery or car?
No, as far as we know, all car battery testers are common and they could be used to test any car battery. There is no specific model for a specific battery type. Therefore, if you purchase a car battery tester, it could be used in general to test any type of battery.
- Is the brand important when it comes to car battery tester?
No, most commonly, a car battery could come from any brand, it need not be a well-known brand. The only thing that matters is the quality, accuracy, and the feature it offers. Therefore, the focus should be on customer reviews only. When it comes to car battery tester, if you want the best tester, reading the customer review is the only option.
- Is it possible to recharge a completely drained car battery?
A car alternator is designed to charge a normal car battery only if the battery is dead or completely drained, there is nothing a car alternator could do. However, using exterior car battery chargers, you could charge a dead or completely drained car battery.
- A bad car alternator could destroy a car battery? I find my new car batteries drained within 2 or 3 months of purchase, is it because of a bad alternator?
Yes, of course, the bad car alternator could kill your car battery in the long run. If the frequency of engine ignition is too much, the battery could be dead within a month.
Choosing a car battery tester can be a tricky thing, especially when you don’t know anything about a tester and how it works if you are a person who feels tired by spending hours of time on getting some expert suggestions related to battery tester then congrats. Because you are in the right place, and here on this in-detailed post, we have listed ten best car battery testers of 2021 that you can buy immediately.