Every motor requires efficient oil as a lubricant to keep the motor running for a very long time without any major wear or tear. Motor oils were in use for a very long time, and it has been protecting the engines and motors since its introduction. However, synthetic oil is a new type of oil designed to offer superior benefits compared to natural motor oil.
It is not an easy task to pick the right synthetic motor oil; there are several factors to be considered. First, the user itself has to find out.
- How old is the motor?
- What kind of motor oil have you been using until now?
- Which type of motor oil does your motor manufacturer recommend?
Once, you have the answer to these questions, you would have an idea of which type of synthetic oil to purchase and use. You should know that synthetic oil is a general term used to mention two types of oil, synthetic blend oil, and full synthetic oil. These two synthetic oils are different, while synthetic blend oil is a mixture of conventional motor oil and synthetic base stock, full synthetic oil is a mixture of synthetic stock base and several additives that boost the efficiency of the oil.
However, if you ask us, we would recommend going for full synthetic oil and not synthetic blend oil. Nevertheless, you should make sure that your motor could work with synthetic oil. If you are looking for the best synthetic motor oils, then we have selected the best rated from the diverse market today. Feel free to select one of the products and you will not regret it.
Table of Contents
- Buy Best Quality Synthetic Motor Oil
- 1. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil 5 QT
- 2. Castrol 03057 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
- 3. AmazonBasics High Mileage Motor Oil
- 4. Royal Purple 51530, 5W-30, High-Performance Synthetic Motor Oil
- 5. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil
- 6. Mobil 1 120760 Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 5 Quart
- 7. Motul 007250 8100, 5W-40 Synthetic Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil
- 8. Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
- 9. Genuine Polaris PS-4 Full Synthetic Oil
- 10. Motorcraft SAE 5w30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil- 12 Quart Case
- Know The Different Types of Motor Oil
- How To Choose The Best Synthetic Motor Oil
- Synthetic Motor Oil Frequently Asked Questions
Buy Best Quality Synthetic Motor Oil
Lets start with us to know what’s the best synthetic motor oil. Here is the list of good quality synthetic motor oil and their detailed review of each product.
1. Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motor Oil 5 QT
It is the best synthetic motor oil brand in the world. This synthetic oil from the Valvoline company is one of the best products that you can consider purchasing today. This product comes designed to offer extra-ordinary features and the product comes at a reasonable price.
This synthetic motor oil comes designed to offer maximum motor/engine efficiency. One of the notable things about this product is that it comes formulated in such a way that it can keep the engine clean by removing the sludge and varnish. This engine oil can also protect the internal engine parts from high temperature and at the same time, this oil can protect the engine during cold weather. Yet another thing about this product is that it helps to increase fuel efficiency. This synthetic oil is available in 7 different viscosity levels and in 5 different capacity variants. The product comes with anti-wear additives that will protect the engine from any wear and tear.
- High-temperature protection
- Compatible with all leading synthetic oils
- Available in different viscosity variants
- High quality additives mixed product
- Offers the best engine performance
- Nothing as such
2. Castrol 03057 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
As most people know, brand Castrol has been on the market for a very long time. The brand has a reputation and legacy of manufacturing and marketing the best motor/engine oil. If you are looking for the best synthetic motor oil, then, Castrol 03057 is the best option for you.
This synthetic oil is designed in such a way that it can increase the performance of your engine. The product comes formulated to reduce the wear and tear under any circumstances. One of the best things about this product is that it has a formula that makes the critical engine parts 4x smoother and therefore, reduces the friction to a minimum value. The superior anti-wear protection offered by this synthetic oil will stand second to no other products on the market today. Yet another important thing about this product is that it comes 5 different variants based on the nature of oil, 2 different variants based on the viscosity, and 6 different variants based on the quantity.
- Makes the engine smoother
- Top rated brand
- Reduce wear and tear
- Tested and guaranteed product
- Offers best engine performance
- Nothing as such
3. AmazonBasics High Mileage Motor Oil
This synthetic motor oil comes from the brand AmazonBasics and it is one of the top-rated brands on the market today. AmazonBasics is a well-known brand and has a reputation for manufacturing and marketing top-quality electronic accessories. However, over the last year, the synthetic oil from this brand has gained positive reviews and reputation.
This synthetic oil comes formulated in such a way that it can support your automobile engine and a motor that has already run 75,000 miles. One of the best things about this engine oil is that it has a formula that will prevent build up that could cause rust and corrosion. Yet another thing about this synthetic oil is that it reduces the friction and, therefore, reduces the internal engine wear and tear. This synthetic oil comes designed in such a way that it could prevent the engine from overheating. Another thing about this product is that it comes in 8 different variants based on viscosity level, 4 different variants based on the oil characteristics.
- Full synthetic motor oil
- Best for typical stress engines
- Top-rated brand
- Can make the engine efficient
- Can keep the engine smooth and running even after 75,000 miles
- Prevents the engine against overheating
- Few of the customers have reviewed the product to lack compatibility for European cars.
4. Royal Purple 51530, 5W-30, High-Performance Synthetic Motor Oil
Are you looking for the best synthetic motor oil available on the market today? Then, Royal Purple 51530 is the product you need. This product come API-Licensed SAE and it comes with several exciting features.
One of the best things about this product is that it is formulated to offer maximum efficient engine performance. The product can protect the engine from any internal wear and tear and, therefore, increase the engine’s lifespan. Yet another important thing about this product is that it comes with superior corrosion-resistant features that will protect the emission system and internal engine parts from corrosion. This product comes designed in such a way that it could increase the efficiency of the engine to the maximum. This product can work efficiently in an engine that has already completed 8000 to 10000 miles.
- Superior wear and tear protection
- Increased fuel efficiency
- Protect the emission system from corrosion
- Best for automobiles that run on fuel containing ethanol
- Offers superior corrosion resistance
- Tested, certified and guaranteed product
- Few of the customers have reviewed the product to come in poor packaging.
5. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30 Motor Oil
This synthetic oil comes formulated to offer several major benefits. If you are looking for the best synthetic oil from the market today, Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic oil is the best option for you.
This product comes formulated with pure plus technology that enables the oil to have lower viscosity at low temperature; therefore, the engine does not have to spend much energy on pumping large quantity of oil at different temperatures. This product comes with SN/GF-5 certification that enables the oil to flow freely and prevent the oil from burning at high temperatures. One of the notable things about this product is that it has a formula that will offer an average of 550 miles per year on the engine. Yet another thing about this product is that it can reduce the friction between the internal moving parts and therefore increase the fuel efficiency and reduce heat production.
- Anti-oxidizing additives added
- Can seal cracks, wear, and tear
- Comes formulated to protect the engine from overheating
- Can deliver an extra 550 miles on your engine per year
- Comes with SN/GF-5 certification
- Can reduce heat loss from the engine
- Few of the customers have reviewed the product container to be punctured when delivered.
6. Mobil 1 120760 Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-40, 5 Quart
Mobil 1 is one of the top-brands that manufactures and markets top quality synthetic oil that offers attractive features and benefits. If you need the best product today, then, you should not neglect this product.
This product comes formulated in such a way that it can deliver enhanced engine performance and deliver higher fuel efficiency. One of the notable things about this product is that it offers premium quality cleaning feature that will keep the debris and other particles from blocking or clogging the engine. Yet another feature offered by this synthetic oil is that it can reduce the wear and tear inside the engine to a minimum. Unlike most of the synthetic oil available on the market, this synthetic oil is formulated to meet the European car standards. Therefore, this product is best for high-end cars and racecars.
- Best for any weather condition
- Can offer better protection against wear and tear
- Increases the overall performance of the engine
- Exceptional cleaning capacity
- Best for automatic automobiles
- Mobil 1 is a reputed brand, but few of the customers reviewed this product to lack quality.
7. Motul 007250 8100, 5W-40 Synthetic Gasoline and Diesel Engine Oil
Motul has been on the market for almost 160-years and they have gained positive reviews on their engine oils from different parts of the world ever since. This synthetic motor oil from this brand is no different.
The product comes formulated to deliver maximum oil film resistance even at a very high temperature. The product can protect the engine’s internal critical parts from wear and tear to a great extent. The friction modifier feature offered by this product plays an important role in reducing the friction between parts and therefore, the engine can deliver maximum output power. One of the best things about this product is that it comes with low volatility, which prevents the oil from burning at high temperature.
- High temperature resistance
- Very low volatility
- Highly refined formula
- Top-rated brand
- Detergent and dispersant additives added
- Increases fuel economy
- Multi-purpose design
- Nothing as such
8. Shell Rotella T5 Synthetic Blend 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil
Most of the people know the brand Shell; it is one of the oldest brands that deals with automotive fuel and oils. This synthetic oil comes from Shell and it is one of the best products that you could consider purchasing.
This product comes designed to offer maximum engine performance and to increase the fuel efficiency without altering the engine. One of the best things about this product is that it comes with an advanced low-ash formulation that helps to control the poisonous emission. Yet another thing about this product is that it comes formulated to be efficient in both hot and cold temperatures. Yet another thing about this product is that it comes with dispersants that prevent the debris from sticking together and blocking the engine’s smooth functioning.
- Advanced low-ash formulated product
- Best for both cold and hot engine
- Enhanced engine performance
- Best for almost every cars
- Reduces emissions
- Advanced formula that delivers enhanced cleaning
- Few customers have reviewed this product to be less efficient than other synthetic oil
9. Genuine Polaris PS-4 Full Synthetic Oil
This product from Polaris is one of the best synthetic motor oil that you could consider purchasing today. This synthetic oil comes designed in such a way that it can offer maximum engine efficiency.
One of the best things about this product is that it comes formulated in such a way that it can protect the engine from wear and tear. This product comes with anti-wear and anti-corrosion additives that will protect the critical parts from corrosion. Yet another thing about this synthetic motor oil is that it has high film strength that makes sure the oil does not burn or lose the viscosity at higher temperature.
- Anti-wear additive added
- Anti-corrosion additive
- Wear and tear-resistant
- Best for typical commuter engines
- Reduce maximum friction
- Comparatively expensive than other synthetic oil on the list
10. Motorcraft SAE 5w30 Synthetic Blend Motor Oil- 12 Quart Case
This product is all about making synthetic oil available for all customers, yes, this is one of the top-rated synthetic oil available today. Even though, this product is synthetic blend motor oil, it provides some quality features and benefits.
This product comes formulated in such a way that it can bring down the friction to a minimum and, therefore, increase the fuel efficiency. One of the best things about this synthetic oil is that it comes with additives like anti-corrosion, anti-oxidants, viscosity index-improvers. These additives make this synthetic blend motor oil efficient to keep the engine healthy for a long time. Another good thing about this product is that it can reduce the engine’s overheating and, therefore, reduce fuel consumption.
- Efficient to make the engine smooth
- Reduces friction to maximum
- Several additives mixed
- This is synthetic blend oil, which is comparatively less efficient than full synthetic motor oils.
Know The Different Types of Motor Oil
Buying engine oil isn’t as simple as it sounds. There are multiple types of motor oils available in the market, and in this section, we have covered the details of the different kinds of motor oil. Check them out below.
By Composition – The first classification available is the type of motor oil available in the market. This includes conventional mineral oil. Synthetic oil and semi-synthetic oil. Below are more details about the same.
- Mineral Oil – This is the conventional oil that is managed from crude oil, and it is further refined in the factories. The mineral oil goes through a lot of processing so that the heat exchange capacity and the viscosity improves. These types of motor oil are cheap, and they are readily available. They are effective, but the quality is certainly inferior to synthetic oil. Since it is made of crude oil, the presence of mineral makes it less refined.
- Synthetic Oil – These are the best type of engine oils, and they are manufactured in factories. The manufacturing process is very refined, and this results in a high quality product. The process to manufacture the oil is monitored stringently. Apart from this, synthetic oils are the best that you will find. On the downside, they are expensive; however, they also last for a long time and a longer mileage.
- Semi-Synthetic oil – If you are not comfortable with mineral oil and if you find the synthetic oil to be costly, you can consider semi-synthetic oil. This is available at an affordable price compared with synthetic oil, which is a lot better than mineral oil. It also comes with a longer mileage than synthetic oil, and it helps maintain the health of the engine.
By Quality – Some people look for something better than synthetic oil. For such, there are some customized products, and you can check those types of engine oil below.
- High Mileage Oil – This is one type of oil that enables you to go longer without changing the oil. These oils have special additives that protect the engine seals, which stops the oil from going bad. The oil doesn’t get burned easily, and they also reduce engine wear. If you do not find time to change the oil, you must try high mileage oil for your cars.
By Viscosity – The oils are also available by viscosity, and each manufacturer recommends a specific grade of oil for their vehicle. We are not going to get into the details here, but you must go by the books. Do not change the viscosity grade of the oil and restrict it to the recommendations from the user manual.
How To Choose The Best Synthetic Motor Oil
Synthetic motor oil is designed to maximize the motor’s lifespan by decreasing the wear and tear of its internal parts. Synthetic motor oil is a lubricant that can reduce the friction between the motor parts. The properties of synthetic motor oil could be increased by using specific additives, which has led to a diverse market. Selecting the best product from this diverse market is a complicated task if you are a beginner and if you do not have any up hand knowledge on synthetic oils. However, if you consider the factors mentioned below, you would be able to pick the best synthetic oils with ease.
→ 1. Type of synthetic oil
One of the most important things about synthetic oil is that they are available in two different types, synthetic blended motor oil, and full synthetic motor oil. Therefore, before purchasing synthetic oil, the first thing you should consider is if the oil suits your motor. Not all cars come with an engine that is designed to function on full synthetic oil, you should know that full synthetic oil is tailor-made to deliver specific benefits. Full synthetic oil is designed to offer high efficiency and is comparatively expensive than synthetic blended motor oil. On the other hand, synthetic blended oil comes with the properties of both synthetic oil and standard engine oil, as the oil itself is a mixture of synthetic and standard oil. If compared to full synthetic oil, synthetic blended motor oil is cheap and a good alternative to full synthetic oil.
→ 2. Viscosity grade
When it comes to motor/engine oil, viscosity is one of the most important factors to consider. Let it be standard engine oil or synthetic oil, you cannot neglect considering the viscosity. Why is the viscosity of motor or engine oil very important? The answer is simple, as the viscosity of the motor oil changes, the overall property of the oil changes. Now, here is how to select suitable viscosity synthetic oil based on the temperature of the engine.
→ 3. High engine stress and high temperature
There are several circumstances where your engine will be stressed; this includes harsh driving, long drives, racing, climbing uphill, towing, etc. If the engine is under high stress, it will obviously produce more heat, so the temperature will be high. The engine oil should be thicker or else the oil would burn and kill the engine at such engine conditions. Different synthetic oil comes with different viscosity and here you will need synthetic oil with a 10W-40 viscosity. Using any other synthetic oil will reduce your engine lifespan and gradually kill your engine.
→ 4. Medium stress and medium temperature
An automobile engine will be under medium stress while traveling on a paved road or in cities. While there is medium or typical stress on the engine, the heat and temperature produced by the engine is medium or typical. For such engines, synthetic motor oil with a 5W-30 viscosity is the best. If you are a daily commuter, then, 5W-30 viscosity synthetic oil is the best recommended for you.
→ 5. Cold weather
Do you live at a place where the surrounding temperature is comparatively low? Do you find it difficult to start your car because the temperature is too low? If yes, it is very important that you consider purchasing synthetic oil designed specifically for such conditions. It is best recommended that you go for 0W-30 viscosity synthetic motor oil, as oil with this viscosity can tolerate low temperature and it can help the engine function smoothly.
It is very important that you read the above-mentioned facts and consider purchasing synthetic motor oil with adequate viscosity. Remember, synthetic oil with right viscosity can keep your engine safe and increase its lifespan. On the other hand, if you end up choosing the wrong viscosity, then it could do harm and waste of money.
→ 6. Additives
As already mentioned above synthetic motor oil is tailor-made to deliver a specific set of benefits to the engine/motor; the additives in the oil will decide what the oil could do. This is why it is very important to know about additives and the common types of additives added.
- Viscosity-index improvers – This additive is added to synthetic oil as it plays an important role in reducing the thinning character of oil at high temperatures. If you are purchasing synthetic motor oil for a high-stress engine, then this additive is very important.
- Detergent – It is a well-known fact that detergents are something that does cleaning better. When it comes to engine/motor oil, detergent additives serve the purpose of removing debris in the engine. In other words, detergents help oil to deliver a better cleaning job.
- Antioxidants – As the name itself suggests, antioxidants prevent oxidization. When it comes to oil, antioxidant additives can prevent the base oil from decaying due to oxidization.
- Anti-foam agents – Foaming is one of the common results of fast-moving parts when it comes to oil, foaming can lead to oil losing several properties, this is why it is important to prevent foaming.
- Conditioners – If your motor/engine is old and if you think the engine already has some wear and tear, then your synthetic oil should have conditioner additive. This additive will help the old and loose seals swell and prevent any oil leaks.
- Dispersants – The basic purpose of this additive is to prevent the debris and particles in the engine to stick together to form a sludge or block.
- Zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP) – The exact functioning and purpose of this additive is still unknown, however, some of the experts have reviewed this additive to deliver an anti-wear property as it reduces the wear and tears inside the engine.
The above-mentioned are few of the common additives used in synthetic oil, now; you know the purpose each additive, based on this knowledge, purchase suitable synthetic oil.
→ 7. Brand
As already mentioned several times above, the motor oil market is diverse and so is the synthetic motor oil market. Check the market and you will find more than a dozen different top brands competing for market dominance. However, when it comes to synthetic oil, we would like to recommend that you consider the brand only after you have considered the type of synthetic oil, viscosity, and type of additives included. And while purchasing synthetic oil, it is very important that you consider purchasing it from a top-rated brand and not a generic brand.
→ 8. Price
Synthetic motor oil is comparatively expensive than standard engine oil. At the same time, synthetic blend motor oil is cheaper than full synthetic oil. However, let us inform you that, synthetic oil is not expensive in the end. If you are confused, consider this, standard engine oil has to be changed after approximately 3500 miles, while synthetic oil has to be changed only after 7500 miles. Therefore, synthetic oil reduces the oil replacement by half and synthetic oil is twice as efficient as standard oil.
Synthetic Motor Oil Frequently Asked Questions
- Are synthetic motor oils bad for engine health?
There isa misconception that synthetic oil whether it is fully or semi-synthetic oil is harmful to the engine in the long term. However, it is not at all true. The synthetic oils are equally safe and better performers than the conventional engine oils. So, if you were also in the dilemma that whether you should use the synthetic motor oil in your vehicle or not, you should not worry about the performance or engine health, even if you switch completely to the synthetic oils.
- How long does the synthetic motor oil last?
It depends on your driving conditions and maintenance of the car. However, synthetic oil should be changed in a year or 15000 miles. By this, you can be assured of having better engine health and better car performance. So, regardless of the brand you prefer for your vehicle, try changing the oil in the prescribed period and miles. Additionally, you can also refer to the oil pack for the recommended oil change frequency for more efficient performance.
- What are the benefits of choosing synthetic motor oil over the traditional ones?
Synthetic oils are more refined and are processed in a better environment than conventional oils. So, you can get relatively better performance from them. Ideally, if you change your motor oil after every 8000-9000 miles, the synthetic oil will easily last for over 14000 miles. This means you won’t have to change the motor oil too often and this makes it the synthetic oils a much better and reasonable product to opt for.
- Can we mix synthetic motor oil with regular motor oil?
Mixing of a synthetic and conventional oil is not at all recommended. If you have used the conventional motor oil till now and want to switch to the synthetic ones, we will recommend you to empty the engine oil completely before refilling to avoid any consequences.
- What is semi-synthetic and synthetic motor oil?
Semi-synthetic motor oil is often termed as the synthetic blend. It has a fixed ratio of mineral oil and the conventional oil in it. This is an excellent choice for the buyers who are looking for a viscous oil that sticks to the engine parts and provides them better performance.
On the other side, the sully synthetic oil contains the mineral oil that makes it less viscous than the other types of motor oils. However, synthetic oil is a more consistent and better performer when it comes to power and reliability.So, if you are after performance and life, you should go with the fully-synthetic oil for your vehicle.
- I used conventional motor oil for the vehicle until now. Will switching to synthetic oil be safe?
Yes, you can switch between the oils whenever you need to. Just make sure that you completely empty the oil before switching to get the better and more consistent results. You can also switch back to conventional or semi-synthetic oils after trying hands on fully-synthetic oil.
We hope that you have enjoyed reading this article. The products listed above and the buying guide compiled will help you purchase the best synthetic motor oil available on the market today. Feel free to purchase any one of the products and you will not regret it.