The demand for the car has been increasing for the past few years, and at the same time, the number of accidents related to cars has also increased. Most of the people who have escaped the accidents either because of luck or because the car had safety features incorporated into it. The safety features here refers to seat belts and airbags.
In the beginning, cars did not come with seat belts or airbags, but the number of accidents that happened these times was too small, one of the main reasons is because cars of those days came with smaller and less powerful engines. However, with the rise in accidents, seat belts became a necessary part of a car, it became official once the government of almost every country made seat belts a mandatory requirement in cars. As of today, most of the developed and developing countries have made wearing a seat belt a mandatory requirement while driving. Here is how to wear the seat belt carefully.
Car Seat Belt Safety Tips
1. Always buckle up the seat belt before starting and driving the car. This rule applies to all people, irrespective of age.
2. Let it be a kid or a baby; a seat belt is compulsory. Most of the people might be surprised on how to use seat belts on kids, the best way to do is to use a baby booster, baby boosters commonly come with seat belts, which is efficient enough to keep the kid-safe.
3. Wear a lap belt always below and across the hips and always make sure it is below the stomach and not on the stomach to avoid any sort of damages to the stomach, in case of accidents.
4. When you wear the shoulder belt, it is always recommended that you wear it over your collarbone and as far away from the neck. Ensure that the belt crosses the chest, remember, the height and fit of the shoulder belt could be adjusted if required.
5. If you are purchasing a new car today, it is very important that you purchase a car with both the seat belt and airbags.
6. One of the most important things that you should remember is that never allow anyone below the age of 13-years to sit in co-passenger seats.
7. If you have a pregnant woman in your car, then the best way to wear the seat belt is to keep the lap belt always below the stomach, it is best recommended to wear it in such a way that the belt is snug against the hips. Always remember, a perfect fit is always required. A lose fit seat belt could result in broken ribs, shoulder bone, and ruptured stomach.
Apart from all the above-mentioned tips, the most important thing to consider is the way you adjust the seats. Yes, adjusting the car seat also plays an important role in changing seat belts’ efficiency. Here are some of the most important things that you should do to increase the efficiency of the seat belt.
- Adjust in such a way that there is a maximum distance between your belly and steering wheel.
- Always avoid reclining the seat more than what is necessary.
- Whatever position your seat may be, it is very important that you adjust the seat belt to fit you perfectly.
Bottom line –
We live in a world where most people cannot distinguish a myth and real fact; now, to our expertise, a seat belt is one of the few things that could save the car traveler from any fatal blows to their body.