Most people out there today use a car as a mode of transport, and there is no good time for the car not to start. However, jump-start could help you start your car and get going.But, remember, jump-starting the car is not an easy task. It requires immense patience and skills. We have compiled this guide, which could help you master the skills and knowledge to jump-start your car through different methods.
If you watch someone jump-starting their car, you might feel that it is an easy task. No, it is not an easy task. There are several things to consider if you are planning on jump-starting your car, then here is everything you need to know.
Pre-requisite knowledge for jump-starting your car
As mentioned above, jump-starting a car is not something anyone could simply do. First of all, if you find your car not starting, do not leap straight into conclusions. It could be a simple error that could be corrected with some simple steps. However, the most important thing is patience and personal safety. Without a cool head, you cannot do anything.
If you have your car parked somewhere where time is not in your favor, you would have to ensure your personal safety and try to move the car somewhere you could think clearly. After you achieve a level of patience, here is what you should not do.
- Unless you know the mechanics of a car battery, do not poke around and touch the battery nodes or poles with a metal.
- Before jump-starting a car, you must check the car battery and if you find the battery damaged, do not try to jump-start the car. Battery damage could be in the form of the broken lid, leakage, too much corrosion on the battery.
- However, advanced your car is, it is recommended that you never pop up the hood and go near the naked engine with a lighted cigarette.
- If you are planning to jump-start your car, you should not wear loose cloth or long ornament that could get your self into any accidents. An engine has several naked moving parts like radiator fans, engine belts, etc. If you cloth or ornament gets stuck in these moving part it could be dangerous.
- Never jump-start a car with the electrical ignition system, such cars come with a different system, if you mess with such an electrical ignition system, then it could fry the entire system.
- If you are not confident that you could perform the jump start, then do not try to do it.
The thing you need for a jump start
- A second vehicle with a good condition battery, a full battery, is more preferred.
- A high-quality pair of jump leads. If you don’t own one, consider purchasing one.
Simple Steps to follow to jump-start your car
Step 1: First, check the car for any damage in the visible electrical systems, check if any of the electrical components are switched on, for example, headlights, fog lamps, audio system, etc. Remember, a sudden influx of electrical charge while jump-starting could kill all those electrical systems that are switched on.
Step 2: Now, you need to align the two cars as close as possible. However, the distance should be based on the length of the jump lead that you posses.It is very important you do not stretch the jump leads as it could damage the nodes or your battery.
Step 3: If the car ignition is still running, you should shut down the engine, remove the ignition keys from the key slot, and open the engine hood.
Step 4: Now pick up the jump leads, you will find the jump lead has two clamps on both sides connected to red and black wires. Connect the red wire on the positive nodes (+) of both the batteries, the dead battery and others.
Step 5: Next, you will have to connect the black wire to the negative (-) node of both batteries. Remember, never to cross-connect the nodes; the positive red wire should be connected to the positive node of the other battery, the same way, the negative nodes too.
Step 6:Once the connection is all completed, you will have to start the car with a good battery and then wait for a few minutes, then try starting your car. Remember, a single try might not start your engine ignition. Try at least 4 or 5 times, but it is very important that you do it in 5-minutes interval.
Once the car starts, you will have to remove the jumps leads and keeps the car ignition turned on for some time.After leaving the engine running for at least 15 minutes, you could drive the car around.
Some experts recommend that the car engine be turned off before removing the jump leads. However, if your battery is completely drained and out of shape, then switching off the ignition would leave the car unable to start yet again. But, if the battery is not permanently drained or damaged, then switching off the ignition could be a good option.
Once the car starts running, remember to focus on charging the battery. This could be achieved driving for about 10-minutes and maintain an rpm above 2000 rpm.
Here is a video for your help:
If you follow the instructions carefully, jump-starting the car could be easy, however, as mentioned, if you do not keep a cool head and if you are too careless, the entire process could prove worthless and difficult.