One of the most important things that an owner of car care about is the external style and the beauty the car represents. The best way to ensure this is to wax the car, yes, waxing is one of the most common methods of protecting the car exterior from any small skin damages like scratches, stains, etc. However, it is very important to remember that waxing is not a permanent cure to the issue, but for the time being, it could be the only best thing an owner could do.
One of the best things about waxing is that it can help the user make the car beautiful at less expense. As you know, waxing is the last step in car detailing; however, there are other steps that have to be done before waxing. Most commonly, waxing is done by professional’s and if you are a person planning to do the waxing all by yourselves, then here are some tips and tricks that would help you do it efficiently.
- Waxing is the last among a number of steps a person should perform. This is why we remind you again that waxing alone cannot make your car exterior look beautiful. Before, waxing, the user will have to pre-clean the car paint and then polish the car.
- The car should be washed and the user should ensure that there is no dirt or stains on the car exterior, remember, if the exterior is unclean, polishing and waxing will do more harm than good.
- Once you have cleaned the car, it is very important to polish the car, purchase a suitable polish that suits your paint. Remember, cleaning, polishing, and waxing, all of these steps have an equal role in making your car look great.
- There are three types of waxes available on the market today, paste wax, spray wax, and liquid wax. Each type of wax offers different efficiency and difference in applying. While spray wax is the easiest to apply, it does not last long. On the other hand, liquid wax is comparatively somewhat harder to apply and they could last longer than spray wax. But, when compared to spray wax and liquid wax, paste wax is the most difficult to apply and at the same time, it is long-lasting.
Pre-requisite tools and materials
- Soft sponge
- Microfiber towel
- Wax pad
- Detailing brush
- Orbital buffer
Here is how to apply the wax on your car like a professional
Applying the car wax is not an easy task if you are planning to wax your car all by yourself, then here is how to do it. Remember, if you do not follow all the steps mentioned above carefully, then, you would end up having an embarrassing car.
Step 1: The first and foremost step in waxing a car is washing. With an appropriate soap, wash your car properly. Remember, there are different ways of cleaning a car exterior; there are different types of soaps available. It is all up to you on which type of soap to use, however, it is very important that cleaning should be so efficient so that your car exterior looks new.
Step 2: Once you have completed the cleaning process, then the next step would be to simply wipe the surface with a microfiber towel to dry the surface.
Step 3: Now, run your hands over the paint job and see if it is smooth, if you find any harsh scratches, then do a decontamination process and use a clay bar on the paint. Remember; use a cay bar of the same colour as your paint.
Step 4: After the decontamination process and clay bar, if the paint is still riddled, you will have to polish the specific area carefully. PS: we know these steps might sound too underrated right now, but, remember, if you want professional quality then, this is what you need to do.
Step 5: Once, you apply the polish, you will have to buff the specific section before the polish dries out.
Step 6: After the polishing is complete, you can start the final process of waxing the car. While polishing has to be done only where required, waxing should be done on the entire car. As mentioned in the beginning, there are three types of waxes, you can select any one of them. However, it is very important that do at least 3 different coats.
Step 7: You can begin the waxing process by first saturating a wax pad with wax. Now you should rub the wax on the car, remember, apply the wax on specific sections in circular and overlapping motions. There are debates on why circular motion is recommended and not any other, but we would recommend circular motion only as it enables the user to make maximum use of wax and cover a wide area. PS: we remind you again, split the car into several sections and apply the wax in each section at a time. Never rush while doing the waxing, unlike polishing, if the wax dries up, there will be no problem.
Step 8: Now, allow the wax to dry up, remember, it is very important that the wax dries up maximum. It would normally take 10 to 15-minutes maximum to dry. When the wax dries, it could give out a white colour or it could be transparent. There is nothing to worry about that, that is what naturally happens when the wax dries.
Step 9: Once the wax is dried, you will have to buff it carefully. The buffing is done to reveal the glossy finish. This is one of the reasons for doing the buffing carefully, it is very important that you do not apply extreme force on the wax while buffing, the movement of your hands should be smooth and lose. If you apply force while buffing, it could lead to more scratches and swirl marks.
Once you have completed buffing the entire car, stop the process, take a few steps back and check if the glossy finishing is complete. If not, do the buffing again at the incomplete spots.
Tips for an efficient waxing
- Always use the best soap, fluid soap is best recommended
- Use a high-quality microfiber towel and not any other towels or sponges to wipe clean and dry the car
- Extreme cleanliness is what we need for maximum professional quality waxing
- Never do waxing and polishing in open space, do it under a roof with plenty of light.
- Select a premium or high-quality clay bar, polish, and wax
- If your car was already waxed by a professional, consider using a pre-wax cleaner before waxing again
Most of the people consider waxing a complicated process, this is what most of the people out there want you to believe. This is not true, if you love your car and if you have some time to spare, you could do the waxing all by yourselves.
If you read the above-mentioned steps and tips, you will find it reassuring. Follow the steps carefully and you will not regret it.