A car power inverter is a simple device used to power electronic devices like TV, Charging Laptop, and more. The inverter works on the simple principle of drawing power from the car’s battery through a cigarette lighter socket. Or, there are many other types of car power inverter, which directly connects to the battery and charging coils to supply current into the inverter.
Buying an inverter for RV, SUVs and Vans seems like the most popular choice among buyers. However, there is a specific requirement by users in cars and they prefer equipping a car power inverter. The advantages include easy to use functionality like home, the ability to use multimedia devices, creative stuff and more. One fun story regarding the use can be spotted during Christmas time when many people use LED lights to decorate their car and power these LED strips with the car inverter. There are a ton of reasons to use a car power inverter.
However, it also brings many questions to buyers minds. The most asked question from the buyers is regarding the harms. Is a Car Power Inverter Harmful to Car Battery? Well, it is slightly a complicated question to answer because it technical affect the car’s battery, but the impact is very minimalistic.
Here are a few points that can help you know whether the car inverter is safe or harmful to the car battery –
Table of Contents
Using Inverter With Car Turned off
If your car is not in the ignition and you are using the power inverter, it will be a bad choice. It doesn’t matter that you are running a small refrigerator or a 20-inches LED, it is continuously withdrawing power. In a couple of minutes of use, your car’s battery will drain to low power and then you can’t use ignition.
On the other hand, doing the same thing even for a couple of minutes will weaken your car’s battery and it won’t be lasting the regular lifespan. It is one of the common issues that you can face while using the car power inverter at the car’s battery with no ignition.
Using High Power Appliances
Whether you are using a high power gaming rig, charging plenty of high power devices or using a powerful refrigerator with the car power inverter, there will be consequences. There is no simple way of eradicating this problem because the car’s battery is not designed for high power output.
Inverter for cars can offer a 1000w power supply, but it will drain the battery at a faster rate. On the other hand, your car is not producing such an amount of current. So, your car’s battery won’t be charging at the same rate. This thing can reduce the lifespan of your car’s battery by 20%.
So, is it Safe?
Well, if you are using the car power inverter following the above-given methods, then the chances of consequences are higher. Your battery will be at risk of ageing at a faster rate. If you follow the safety and usability tips, you can efficiently eradicate this problem. On the other hand, there is a need of being selective with the devices that are charging with a car power inverter.
Tips for Using Car Power Inverter
To ensure safe use and never harming your car’s battery with the car power inverter, following the below-given tips can come in handy and provide you with safe usability. Have a look –
- Always follow the car power inverter user manual to ensure the best usability. In most cases, people end up having issues due to the neglected user manual.
- Using a cheap car power inverter is always risky because it might be consuming way more power than the labelled voltage. It is a major concern with the less-known manufacturers of car power inverters and being selective in such conditions is necessary.
- Car power inverter is capable of outputting 220v AC power and it is dangerous. So, installing the inverter in such a small space is such a challenge. Always place the car power inverter into a safe place and it should be away from water damage. Moisture is the major reason because the car power inverter will be using power for no reason and it is bad for your car.
- Keep the inverter turned off when there is nothing plugged in. The reason behind unplugging or turning off the car power inverter is the continuous withdrawal of power as if it is directly connected to the battery. When you are away and not using the car, the inverter will somehow juice out your car’s battery.
- The car power inverter must not consume power more than the requirement. If you are using a refrigerator, it should be capable of offering more output by a good margin. But, the power consumption should be minimal instead of taking up all the juice.
- If your car power inverter is directly connected to the battery, the terminals should be connected adequately. If the connection is poor, there will be small sparks, and your inverter won’t be able to offer adequate output. This thing will damage your car’s battery.
These are the few things that you must be taking into consideration while using a car power inverter. If you are new to a car power inverter, following a buying guide from the expert will be a better choice to ensure the best purchase. Keep in mind that you don’t buy a cheap car power inverter.
The Final Verdict
During the purchase of a car power inverter, it is crucial to check all the necessary factors so that you don’t end up buying a battery killer car power inverter. The purchase well-made car power inverter and following the safety tips along with the user manual will ensure safer use.
So, car power inverters are not harmful to a car’s battery when used in the right manner. We hope that this guidepost will help you attain all the necessary details and getting rid of the most frequently asked question out of your mind.